Thursday, October 27, 2011

You're the Pundit: Do you need a landline?

The john painter

I have Vonage. VOIP. Almost dropped them but the customer retention came on once I mentioned I'd looked at competing services like Line 2 and NetTalk as replacements and I now have the same plan as before except instead of $25 a month it is $13. I use it over cable Internet and with the UPS in place for the cable and Vonage boxes have not had the VOIP version of the landline drop out. It is purely a convenience though ... If I could find an Apple iPhone dock that had a POTS port I'd drop Vonage... The latest Magic Jack is unleashed from the computer so I am going to see if that is sufficient. My only criteria is drive the wireless phone base station and allow the call in to DirecTV... There are solutions to both my needs in the pipeline (when DTV actually puts out another TiVo based box they've promised since they made peace in 2009 is one, and a bluetooth to POTS is another promised box) then all will be solved cleanly as the DTV will be on the network, not the phone lines.

As to the bulk of my actual use of a phone as a phone to reach out and touch me. I've been cellular as my primary phone since 1989 ... Anything else is because the ancillary toys to connect to a POTS house phone have been lacking... And I haven't had a chance to get to love Asterix. So landlines could die and I'd miss them like analog TV.

7 hours ago Report abuse Permalink rate up rate down Reply

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More