Friday, May 6, 2011

CyanogenMod 7.0 now stable, released for over 30 Android devices

Comments

7

Subscribe to comments

will cyanmod 7 work with verizon lg vortex

@mark turner http://styleown.com

(b..r..a..n..d.)s.h.o.e.s.(34u.s.d),,

==J. a .m .e )) shoes

(1-24) shoes

2010 shoes

But there is no LG option :(

It's not stable if you're a corporate email user. See this bug (http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=3243) that I and many others have been having for a while now, which in short causes Exchange email to stop pushing after a random amount of time.

Is rooting the Thunderbolt a very difficult process? I've never rooted before. Is it any harder than navigating your way around Linux using terminal, because even as a Linux noob I found that fairly easy.

No final build for Moto Droid yet either :(

Given that CM7 was released almost on the anniversary of me getting my HTC Desire (and hence it being out of warranty) I thought I'd give it a try. I spent a good deal of time sifting through the guff on the site and reading plenty of howtos for installation that made so many ridiculous assumptions... but I eventually got it loaded to find...

1. Google Maps wouldn't install because the /cache folder had 4MB free space with no obvious solution. I had to format my SD card, partition it and then redirect the /cache folder using a program called s2ext. Not something that will ease uptake.
2. USB transfer rates had taken a nosedive. I was getting...wait for it...641KB/sec! WOW! Not. Previously I was able to get 3-4MB/sec on stock software. Apparently it's a kernel issue. I don't care, it doesn't work so it shouldn't be "final".
3. Some widgets simply didn't work. The program installed but when I went to the widget list to add it to the homescreen, it wasn't listed. Reboots didn't resolve this.
4. Doesn't support AAC music format. Why not?

Overall I spent about 8 hours tinkering and discovered several showstoppers that made me go straight back to stock software...I wasn't impressed. Kudos to the guys that have done the work. It really is a very good piece of development but there were too many problems for me to use it as a daily driver.

'+author+''+replyToUndo+'

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More